logo
kop1
nijmegen
home
siteplan
< < go back < <
contact
who's ir grootveld
the forum
history
architecture
classic stations
recent stations
plans grootveld
litterature
links
pomp

Classic remarkable petrol stations.



The list below gives you the choice of some remarkable classic petrol stations. Only few still exist, most of them have been demolished long ago:
In other countries:

Standardstation for Esso, by Dudok

Former location: Junction Vinkeveen motorway A2, NL
Location today: Raamsdonksveer, Louwman en Parqui premises.
Company: Esso
Architect: Dudok
Built in series between 1953 and 1967

For Esso architect Dudok designed a series of standard petrol stations.
There was a need for a recognisable building type, and flexible in extention possibilities.
The design consists of a V-shaped concrete roof, resting on two pillars where it folds. Under this roof, not connected to the roof construction, is a brick kiosk with steel windows and plastered walls. The kiosks have been built in different dimensions. In this way the basic design was useful for different situations. From a small kiosk with 5 front segments and 4 at the sides, under a large cantilevered roof. To a large service- and greasing station, with 12 front segments and 8 at the sides. The last type had almost no cantilevered roof left. There were almost 112 of these sites built, most of them already disappeared again long ago.
Because of motorway widening works the station had to be removed.
But the building was saved by enthousiasts and moved by truck to the Autotron car museum in Rosmalen. There it was completely renovated. After closure of the pleasure park, it moved to Raamsdonksveer, Louwman en Parqui premises.It is a medium type, with 7 front and 8 side segments. Beside the Autotron exemple there is still one left in Groningen at the Turfsingel. Painted in the BIM company colors.

(go back)
pijl

.

Former "Auto Palace" Nijmegen

Location: Muldersweg Nijmegen
Company: Texaco
Architects: Meerman en Vd. Pijll
Realisation: 1953

It was planned to design a spectacular site, tempting car drivers to fill up their vehicles there. In those days it was situated on the top of a hill, at the important road to Grave and 's-Hertogenbosch.
By a later road diversion the station lost its customers and also its function. The building was used then for storage for a long time.
The design combines the round forms of canopy and shop with the rectangular masses of the office and owner's house behind. The round, saucer-like canopy only rests on a corner of the building behind. It seems to fly, by its large cantilevering. On top of the canopy is a 17 m high ligt tower, giving a spectacular sight to the filling station. Under it is a glass shop, also round shaped. From here there is a beautiful view to the whole street corner, where the site is situated. The pumps were located on two places under the canopy.
Since 1991 the restaurated building is used as an architect's office.
It is on the Dutch monuments list.

(go back)
pijl

.

Apeldoornseweg Arnhem

Location: Apeldoornseweg Arnhem NL
Company: Fina
Architect: Sybold van Ravesteyn
Realisation: 1957

The filling station at the entrance road is on the Arnhem city monuments list. The white building contrasts nice to the forest behind.
The long narrow box ends in an angle near the site's entrance. So the front suggests more mass than really exists. The corner is opened by the glass front of the kiosk. Together with the slanted, irregularly shaped roof, it gives the station a light impression.
The front tips on the roof used to bear the letters "Purfina", with the company's logo underneath. There were plans to modernize or to transport the station away from the location. It lost its function and doesn't look fresh anymore. The building is in use by an artist now.

(go back)
pijl

.

Keulse Poort, Venlo

Location: Keulse Poort, Venlo
Company: Esso
Architect: ??
Realisation: 1933

The petrol station was built by the American Petroleum Company. It has a circular ground plan, with two annexes for toilet and washing.
The round glass frame used to be is steel, but was later substituted by wood. Fassades were in red brown brick, not plastered. Later they were paited white. Because of road widening the significant roadside canopies had been removed. At the backside a new pumpcourt was erected, with a kiosk. The former round shop changed in a tourist information office.
Later the station was abandoned. The uprisings have been used by several catering firms. It was also used by a music group as a rehearsal room. Nowadays the building is restored as a part of the Limburg Museum.

(go back)
pijl

.

Elftweg, Grave

Location: Elftweg te Grave
Company: Fina
Architect: Van Ravesteyn

The filling station belonged to a bigger complex, also containing a restaurant designed by Van Ravesteyn. In the eighties the remarkable station with integrated canopy, was demolished. Both forecourt area as kiosk surface were too small to be still adequate. Today the former restaurant serves as a tankshop. At the location of the former filling station there's a modern standard canopy covering a large court area. Despite there were some attempts to integrate the flat canopy with the sloping restaurant roof by using brick columns and backgrounds, there's a sharp contrast left between old and new.

(go back)
pijl

.

logo
logo

The copyright of this site and its contents is by Ir Grootveld... Site design by Ir Grootveld / Blinksoft
Please change "fontsize" in your browser if page looks corrupted.